When I read...I'm normally like this...



and this...


and maybe even this...


Sadly, with this book, I didn't experience any of these feelings for the story or it's characters. I really wanted to love it. After all, it did receive like all these amazing awards and was a book club pick for many readers. It was at the top of the charts in 2012, "Best book of the yearrrr"?!. Everyone was raving about it. I realize I might be in the minority here, but I didn't love it. 


Here is the synopsis from the back of the book (I will add my own comments in green):

1987. There’s only one person who has ever truly understood fourteen-year-old June Elbus, and that’s her uncle, the renowned painter Finn Weiss (whom she has a romantic connection too- nothing scandalous...just mutual feelings they have for each other. She literally has a crush on him and admits that he was her first love...WHAT?!) . Shy at school and distant from her older sister, June can only be herself in Finn’s company; he is her godfather, confidant, and best friend (again, whom she also is weirdly connected to). So when he dies, far too young, of a mysterious illness (AIDS) her mother can barely speak about, June’s world is turned upside down. But Finn’s death brings a surprise acquaintance into June’s life—someone who will help her to heal, and to question what she thinks she knows about Finn, her family , and even her own heart (June and her sister have a very annoying relationship. I didn't really like her sister or her parents).
 
At Finn’s funeral, June notices a strange man lingering just beyond the crowd. A few days later, she receives a package in the mail. Inside is a beautiful teapot she recognizes from Finn’s apartment, and a note from Toby, the stranger, asking for an opportunity to meet (Toby, is Finn's gay partner, who June just finds out about). As the two begin to spend time together, June realizes she’s not the only one who misses Finn, and if she can bring herself to trust this unexpected friend, he just might be the one she needs the most ("Spending time together" is June sneaking out to see Toby. Her parents don't know about it because her mom has something against Toby. June realizes that half the reason she can trust Toby is because he has so many of Finn's qualities or maybe it's that Finn had Toby's qualities? Anyways- June is 14...14 and is running around New York City secretly to spend time with Toby because he is dying of AIDS as well. Together June and her uncle's boyfriend, Toby,  share stories of Finn and grieve together).

The summary in black make it sound awesome right?!! Yah, I thought so too!

Things I was thinking as I read the story...

1. I don't understand Finn's painting or the wolf in the painting that gave the book it's title.

2. Why does the girl have a crush on her gay uncle?

3. Did I seriously read the same version everyone else did?

4.  Countless reviews say readers were crying in every chapter...I must be heartless. I cry in plenty of books but not this one.

5. Page 150 and I am still forcing myself to read just waiting for something good to happen. (It. never. did.)

6. This is quite a depressing story- but not on the verge of tears kind of depressing.

7. Definitely not a light read. Am I really spending from 3pm to 8pm trying to just make it through these next 100 pages?

8. When is this going to end?? (Y'all I couldn't even finish it. LOL. I read the ending on the internet.)

Overall, I am glad I read it after hearing so much about it. I did not want to look back and regret never reading it and missing out on all the hype. Maybe that was my problem? Maybe my expectations were too high? I do think it had some redeeming qualities. I think there were to many themes in the story. If it had just been about Toby, his story and his life with AIDS, I think the book would have been much better! Anyways...I could go on and on about this. Bottom line- I didn't connect with this story and it wasn't what I thought it would be reading. 

I encourage you to go to goodreads and use some other reviews to determine if you would like to read the story for yourself. You are more than welcome to borrow/keep my copy :)


More than looking forward to my next book...


Praying this is more of a "light" read!! I'll let y'all know what I think.



Let me know if you ever read "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" and what you thought of the story. I want to hear other perspectives. 


2 Comments

  1. I LOVED Eleanor and Park! In no way is it a light read though. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh noooo!!! Hahaha. Is it at least a good page turner?? Could I finish it in one ice day because I like it so much?

      Delete